Advanced Treatment from Ashley County Medical Center
The Cardiopulmonary Services Department at Ashley County Medical Center
is staffed with skilled respiratory therapists who are all ACLS, PALS,
NRP and BLS certified. The staff is trained to work with inpatients, outpatients,
critical care and emergency situations.
As members of our skilled health care team, our respiratory therapists
provide care for patients struggling with lung and / or heart conditions.
They are able to provide critical care, neonatal procedures, and intensive
care for our patients. Respiratory therapists perform intensive care,
critical care, and neonatal procedures. They also are a vital part of
the hospital’s lifesaving Code Blue team that is responsible to
help handle patients’ emergencies. Respiratory therapists perform
diagnostic procedures to identify or monitor respiratory problems, and
they help treat those problems.
Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Issues
Diagnostic techniques include obtaining and analyzing blood samples. The
therapist takes blood samples and analyzes them to define levels of oxygen,
carbon dioxide, and other gases. The therapist also might measure the
lung capacity of a patient to rule out possible impairment of functions.
Our department is 24/7 and offers the following:
- Bronchodilator therapy
- Oxygen therapy
- Non-invasive ( CPAP/ BiPAP ) and invasive ( mechanical ) ventilation management
- Arterial blood gas analysis
- Trach care and trach weaning
- Pulmonary function testing lab ( DLCO/ Lung volumes )
- Graded cardiac exercise stress test and nuclear testing
- Holter monitoring set-up ( 24 hour heart monitor )
- Event monitor set-up ( 21 day heart monitor )
- Electrocardiograms ( EKGs )
- Electrocephalograms ( EEGs )
- Pulse Oximetry Study
Treatment responsibilities for a respiratory therapist include operating
various types of equipment to assist with breathing or to administer oxygen.
The therapist also administers medication to help lessen breathing problems
and avoid respiratory infections.