What is Swing Bed?
After a surgery, injury, illness, or stroke, you may be improving, but still require some additional skilled care before transitioning to your home environment. Ashley County Medical Center offers a skilled nursing level of care called Swing Bed for patients who need certain services before discharging home. Swing bed patients are cared for on our acute care med-surg floor by our staff of well-trained health care professionals. You will receive high quality care close to home where you are close to family, loved ones, and friends.
Who Qualifies for Swing Bed?
- The patient must have Medicare Part A or an insurance that has skilled nursing care benefits & have available days to use. (A few other conditions may apply based on insurance type but our coordinator will help with these.)
- The patient must spend at least 3 consecutive inpatient midnights in a hospital setting prior to admission to Swing bed with most insurances.
- The patient must require a skill such as but not limited to, IV Therapy, sterile dressing changes, regulation of insulin, rehab after a stroke, hip or knee replacement, or strength training after a prolonged hospitalization.
How do you benefit from Swing Bed?
- You will be able to stay close to home while receiving skilled care.
- You will be able to go to a skilled level of care while meeting your needs for a longer rehabilitative stay.
- Families will be able to visit with convenience.
- A Swing bed stay in your community allows increased family involvement for support and training.
- The referring hospital and your family members can be assured that the skilled care needed will be continued by our trained professional staff.
- Decreased burden on your family (travel, cost of gas…)
- Increased patient/family satisfaction.
- A Swing bed stay allows more time for family education, training, etc.
- A Swing bed stay allows opportunity for staff to identify your needs to assure a safe and sustainable return home.
- A Swing bed admission can help prevent re-admission to an inpatient hospital.
Benefits at Ashley County Medical Center Swing Bed Program
Besides having large spacious private rooms, our skilled professionals can work to quickly help you restore independence in your daily living & educate you & your family on safely returning to your home.
Skilled care provided by nursing or other rehab professionals.
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- IV Therapy
- Tube Feeding
- Wound Care
- Pain Management
- Nutrition and/or Hydration
- Sterile Dressing Changes
- Regulation of Insulin
If you or a family member are interested in our comprehensive Swing Bed services please call Ashley Whitaker at (870) 364-0538 for more information.